Wiki Muscle Repair of the foot

msbecca09

New
Best answers
Hello, I code primarily hand surgeries, but we get the occasional foot. And the difference in CPT codes is astounding! One of our surgeons performed an ORIF of the Calcanus and metatarsals. He also repaired the foot muscles. I don't see any codes for repair of the muscles, just tendons and ligaments. Is this because it is presumed to be included in all other procedures? I am not finding anything in my research..

Any advice is appreciated,

Rebecca

Was the muscle repair separate from the ORIF (as in, was there injury to the muscles also)? I can find muscle repairs for other places, for example 24341 (Repair, tendon or muscle, upper arm or elbow, each tendon or muscle, primary or secondary (excludes rotator cuff), but nothing for the foot, just like you. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the need for the repair, and this is a total shot in the dark, I'm wondering if you could go with a wound repair code. When I look in the index, I get Wound>Repair>Feet>simple, intermediate, and complex, but they break down by measurement of the wound...

I'm not sure what code(s) you 're using for the ORIF, so I randomly picked 28485 and 28415 (which could be completely wrong, but roll with it :)). Then tacked on 13132 (Repair, complex, forehead, cheeks, chin, mouth, neck, axillae, genitalia, hands and/or feet; 2.6 cm to 7.5 cm) and checked for any edits. 13132 does bundle with 28485 and 28415, but a mod is allowed. I believe "complex" repair would get you down to the muscle level for the foot. So, as I mentioned, depending on the nature of the muscle repair, without an op note to go off of, this may work if the muscle repair can be separated from the ORIF. :confused: :confused: