Wiki MVA car not running

Lizz B

Best answers
Hope someone can clarify this for me.
Patient was struck by her own vehicle which she had parked and exited, in a parking lot. The patient saw the car start to roll and jumped behind it trying to stop it, injured her knee as she collide with the rear bumper.

Trying to follow the logic: Accident, struck by (vehicle), Stationary or falling from jack..this is where I'm getting stuck. In my opinion, the car was not under power so it is no longer at MVA (IE: MVA for someone on side of road changing a tire is still an MVA if they were struck by another vehicle. If they are injured when the car falls off a jack, it codes to a non MVA code of W20.8XXA-other causes of strike by thrown, projected, or falling object ((initial encounter)).
If the car is not under power, is it correct to code as non-motor vehicle accident?

At one point, I had an auto insurance person explain to me that if the car engine was turned off, any contact with that vehicle was no longer considered a 'car accident' (in other words, doesn't fall under auto ins.) unless the person was struck by another car and knocked against the non-running car.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to find supporting documentation of this.

Any thoughts?

I think I would definitely use V03.00XA, "Pedestrian on foot injured in collision with car, pick-up truck or van in non-traffic accident."

The vehicle was indeed in motion and she was struck by it (but non-traffic). The insurance persons perspective is not that of a coder..they're likely speaking from an insurance perspective and how they would pay etc and that is up to them to determine. But the coding system doesn't account for whether the engine was on or off.