Wiki NAD: psych or constitutional exam?

andersee

Expert
Best answers
I've always counted NAD as psych because the 97 guidelines show "mood and affect" under psych. That said, most physicians documented NAD under constitutional and they have said they learn it as a constitutional exam (general appearance) while in med school.

Opinions on the matter?

NAD - Psych or Constitutional

If I am auditing someone in a Behavior Med practice, I count NAD as psych. Other specialties, I count as Constitutional.

It's such a vague statement. No distress with what? Breathing? Distressed with pain? I generally use it with constitutional...but I wouldn't necessarily say it could never be used in psych.

I always count this as cons, I don't see how you could count it as psych.

Laura, CPC, CEMC

Constitutional

I always count is as constitutional.

I expect something more specific for psych ("pleasant demeanor" or "visibly upset").

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

I count NAD as constitutional as well. It doesn't really say much about the patient's psych status. A&Ox3 I count as psych.

Every doctor I've ever asked about that statement has said that it refers to whether, upon initial gross examination of the patient, the patient is experiencing any acute respiratory or cardiovascular distress that would indicate the need to suspend a normal visit encounter and instead convert to some type of intervention and possibly transport to a more acute location. I count is as general appearance under Const.

When the word "distress" is used outside of the medical field it usually means psychiatric and some coders apply the word this way without realizing the different use by doctors.

Seth Canterbury, CPC, ACS-EM

Last edited: