• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

NAD: psych or constitutional exam?

andersee

Expert
Messages
322
Location
Rose City (Portland, Oregon)
I've always counted NAD as psych because the 97 guidelines show "mood and affect" under psych. That said, most physicians documented NAD under constitutional and they have said they learn it as a constitutional exam (general appearance) while in med school.

Opinions on the matter?
 
It's such a vague statement. No distress with what? Breathing? Distressed with pain? I generally use it with constitutional...but I wouldn't necessarily say it could never be used in psych.
 
Constitutional

I always count is as constitutional.

I expect something more specific for psych ("pleasant demeanor" or "visibly upset").

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
 
Every doctor I've ever asked about that statement has said that it refers to whether, upon initial gross examination of the patient, the patient is experiencing any acute respiratory or cardiovascular distress that would indicate the need to suspend a normal visit encounter and instead convert to some type of intervention and possibly transport to a more acute location. I count is as general appearance under Const.

When the word "distress" is used outside of the medical field it usually means psychiatric and some coders apply the word this way without realizing the different use by doctors.

Seth Canterbury, CPC, ACS-EM
 
Last edited:
Top