Wiki Need dx code for pregnancy and uti???

Networker3412

Networker
Best answers
patient is seen for abdominal pain and does not know she is pregnant. final diagnostic statement is : UTI, Pregnancy incidental. My coworkers tell me that i am supposed to code DX 646.63 and 599.0. Is this correct? I thought per coding guidelines that if the physician states " incidental" then its not a complication so you can not code this scenario as a complication.

I am unsure why he would document pregnancy incidental... did he document it that way in the note or was this what was marked on the superbill? Most of the time the UTI is a complication of being pregnant.

they did a pregnancy test during the visit and it came back positive so the dr wrote down on his final statement " UTI, Pregnancy incidental"

I would code 599.0 and V22.2. He isn't treating the pregnancy, therefore it is incidental to this visit.

Just my opinion,

Laura, CPC

I would agree that the correct way would be to code the 599.0 and v22.2 as secondary.

Since the physician documented pregnancy incidental then I agree the way to code it is the 599.0 and V22.2, but only because he documented it that way. Had he documented the UTI and added patient has postive pregnancy result or something along that line then it would 646.63.

thank you

so then i am correct then since the physician wrote incidental then you would not code this as a complication. Thank you all for your opinions.

No, to use the V22.2 the physician must document the pregnancy is incidental.. in the guidelines it states that it is the "physicians responsibility to state that the current condition being trated is not affecting the management of the preganancy'. Without this documentation we have to code all conditions as either complications of the pregnancy or current conditions which complicate the management (648.xx). So the UTI with pregnancy stated would be the 646.63 first listed. Remember that chapter 11 codes (630-677) have sequencing priority and go before all other codes.

obxcoder

Thank you all for your knowledgeable answers! A great resource for a new coder! :)