need help with iv hyration codes ASAP

geminitc81

Networker
Best answers
I Dont Use The Hydration Codes Very Offen And When Like Any Advice On How To Code The Following:

2 Hours Iv Hydration,250cc Normal Saline Per Hour,with Zofran Push.

Thanks In Advance
Arwa

I have the SAME question 5+ years later!!

The patient presented with severe emesis. The records indicate normal saline solution (NSS) 2 liters was given IV. IV start time: 10:40 & end time: 12:40. Rx Zofran was given IV at 10:50. There is only a start time for the Zofran. No end time.

I'm thinking the following codes/units should be reported:
CPT 96374 (Initial service for IV push of Zofran)
CPT 96361 x 2 units (Subsequent hydration for 2hrs).

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. Coding IV hydration/infusions is confusing!

Hello,
You may want to add modifier -59 to the hydration code as it is a separate service and some payers require it.

Elizabeth

Thank you Elizabeth. I checked CCI & mod-59 shouldn't be required, but I know what you mean about some payers requiring it.

Since the IV ran for 2 hours, it's appropriate to report 2 units with CPT 96361, correct? Any input on that?

Hydration reply

96374 X1 (the Zofran is almost always a push so there won't be an end time)
96361 X2 (the push is the initial so the hydration are add-on codes only)

Even though the Zofran came after the hydration, its about the hierarchy of meds no matter what time it was given, so if for example, she got a chemo infusion at 3PM, then chemo would take precedence and that would become your initial, the iv push would be an add on, and your hydration is last as add-ons. No -59 mod is needed. I code regularly for the ED and the outpatient infusion center. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Great...thank you atheri992! That's what I was thinking. This visit was was originally billed with 3 codes - 96360, 96374, & 96366, which I felt was completely wrong.