Wiki Need help!

tsuekeyes

Contributor
Best answers
I do coding for a family practice. One of our doctors wants a patient to get a bubble echocardiogram. Her insurance requires pre-certification. I'm at a lost as to which code to pre-certify! Our local cardiologist office won't help us because we are not part of the large hosptial group they belong to. Would anyone be so kind as to point me to the correct place to look?

Thank you for your help!

Tammy Sue Keyes, CPC, CFPC

This question was posted in the Medlearn/Panacea Health Solutions website.

January 23, 2012
Question:
What codes should we be billing for a bubble study echocardiogram?

Answer:
A bubble study is coded the same as other echocardiograms: 93306 if complete with spectral Doppler and color Doppler, 99307 if complete without spectral and/or color, 93308 if limited. Some code an injection (96373 for instance) also, but many payers will not reimburse for the injection.

It is hard to know exactly what type of echo is needed. Complete (w/doppler) 93307 (without doppler) or 93308 (limited). A complete echo consists of viewing 4 heart chambers, 3 valves and pericardial sac. A limited echo is performed when less than the 8 components are viewed. The doppler portion of the echo uses ultrasound to visualize blood flow velocity, direction and type of flow in different locations in the heart.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Dee

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply, that's actually very helpful. I'll now know where to start looking and what information I need from the provider.

Tammy Sue Keyes, CPC, CFPC