Need Opinions!! Consults.

ARCPC9491

True Blue
Best answers
I was in another thread about this and want to know what everyone thinks. This is always a hot debate in our office.

When an ER physician - calls a service, such a gen surg, plastics, cardio, etc....... how does everyone code this if the service called doesn't admit the patient?

i.e. : patient is in observation or in ER, do you bill outpatient consults (99241-99245) or outpatient codes whether they are new or established? (99201-99215)

Last edited:

Lisa Bledsoe

True Blue
Best answers
If the patient is not an established patient with the service called and the doctor renders his/her opinion and reports to the ER doc who then discharges the patient from the ER, wouldn't that be a consult? I realize that an ER doc would not normally see the patient back after the consult, but if the "consultant" renders/reports the opnion and leaves the ER discharge to the ER doc, it seems like a consult to me...

ARCPC9491

True Blue
Best answers
Agree w/ you! but if the consultant sends them home.. this is where it gets debatable.. and if the consultants sends them home, I say no consult. two other people at my office say consult even if the consulting sends home.. Is there any literature on this somewhere??

georgie14

New
Best answers
consults

sorry to throw this in but if a physician sees the patient for an inpatient consult and does not see the patient in the hospital after the consult but then a week or two later the patient comes to the physicians office
Is this a new patient or an established patient?

There is much debate on this
Anyone know where I can find literature regarding this

Thanks

ARCPC9491

True Blue
Best answers
sorry to throw this in but if a physician sees the patient for an inpatient consult and does not see the patient in the hospital after the consult but then a week or two later the patient comes to the physicians office
Is this a new patient or an established patient?

There is much debate on this
Anyone know where I can find literature regarding this

Thanks

The patient would be an established patient because the patient received professional services from that physician within the last 3 years.