Wiki Neoplasm

KaylaRieken

True Blue
Best answers
When do I use the unspecified codes verse the neoplasm codes? In some cases for example: renal mass, the book leads you to use N28.89 (other specified disorder of kidney/ureter). My doctors say that they think it should be the unspecified neoplasm codes because that is what the mass is and that is a more specified code. Another example would be a penile lesion. Do I use other specified disorder or unspecified neoplasm?

When do I use the unspecified codes verse the neoplasm codes? In some cases for example: renal mass, the book leads you to use N28.89 (other specified disorder of kidney/ureter). My doctors say that they think it should be the unspecified neoplasm codes because that is what the mass is and that is a more specified code. Another example would be a penile lesion. Do I use other specified disorder or unspecified neoplasm?
The terms 'mass'/'lesion' and 'neoplasm' are not interchangeable. Renal mass is not the same as renal neoplasm so N28.89 is correct as directed by the ICD-10-CM book. Penile lesion is not the same as penile neoplasm. Surprised your providers think a mass and a neoplasm are the same thing.
A patient presenting with a mass would need a biopsy to confirm whether it is a neoplasm or not. Only pathology can confirm the presence of neoplastic changes.