Wiki New Coder with a Big Question re which version of ICD9 to get for RA Coding

Best answers
To make a short story long... I am a new coder.... this was a change of career for me. Finished my CPC apprenticeship doing practicode... but then when I went to go find work as a coder, I could not find work because of lack of clinical experience. Finally I have gotten a job doing RA coding... but I need to get the ICD9 book again. and was wondering... I was going to get ICD9 for physicians.. but was wondering if I should get the ICD9 Vol 1 - 3 for Hospitals and Payers. Or both? This is a remote job... and I am just a little confused on which ICD9 I should be using. Hope this isn't a silly question. I got my CPC using the ICD9 for Physican Coders... just volume 1 and 2... but some of the coding may include inpatient... so I am not quite sure if I should get the other book too. :eek:

Diagnosis coding for inpatient and outpatient comes from Volume 1 & 2.

Volume 3 is procedure codes for inpatient. Since Risk Adjustment coding is diagnosis only you don't need the inpatient procedure codes.

Risk adjustment is diagnosis only so no need for procedures.

Having Volume 1-3 is like having the ICD-10-CM & ICD-10-PCS

ICD-9 Volume 1 & 2 = ICD-10-CM

ICD-9 Volume 3 = ICD-10-PCS