• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

New Coder

Best answers
I am in the process of going for my CPC exam, and I already work at a hospital and had a interview for a coding position. However they told me I do not have enough experience, I was wondering on how do I get the experience I need? I know that most jobs require a few years of experience. Does anyone know of any remote jobs that will take on a new coder or if there are any companies that pay by chart? Even if someone has any suggestions on what to do because I am at a loss on what to do.

Thanks,
Shannon

Jad2018

Contributor
Best answers
A HUGE Problem

New coders are finding out that employers insist on at least 2 years experience in “proven coding”. Some are even expecting a proven record of high percentage of correct coding. There’s an abundance of job opportunity for experienced coders but its a dead end for a new grad. I have been a a nurse for 26 years now and I have coded ICD 9 and 10 for labs and use codes to justify the use of medication for patient care. So I am familiar with coding,documentation and terminology/anatomy. And I have sent several resumes out with not one call or a thanks but no thanks email or letter. I got loads of calls and emails for nursing jobs though.

It’s something that I would tell people to think hard and be ready to not work in coding after finishing school or training. Think about how you will pay for keeping your certification and completing the CEUS you have to complete. Does your present job pay enough for the extra expenses?

This is in no way meant to be negative but realistic for those that have to have an income to count on. I have bills to pay and I went back to nursing. It’s the last thing on earth I want to do because after 26 years, I am ready for a change.

Good Luck ? to you and I hope everything works out for you!

Haydee1

New
Best answers
Same boat

I, too, am on the same boat! While I have clinical experience and have used both ICD 9 and 10 for work- I am not having any luck with looking for coding jobs much less any site to do an externship or sit and watch with SOME exposure. At first, I thought it was my location as I am not currently near the main city- I have given out resumes but no reply was received. I also reached out to my local chapter officers but only got ONE reply. I am not expecting ANY handouts, I would have appreciated a little bit of help, ideas or suggestions besides networking. Sadly- I had to get a paying job because bills were piling up and now we are locating to a new area. I'm crossing my fingers that I will get SOMETHING to do with medical coding- I have invested SO MUCH MONEY in AAPC, it is a bit discouraging if no one will give a "new" coder a chance.

I'm praying to be in a better situation at the new area where we'll be moving to than here in Fayetteville, NC.

Good luck to all.

H.

walmyshv

New
Best answers
:confused::confused:
I decided to do my certification and I got it, but I don't work in the health area. I have tried to find a job and it has been in vain.
With the previous comments I have lost all hope, because my experience is null.
How can I acquire it?