Wiki New to Chrio Coding

kmccard

New
Best answers
Hi there,
I am new to chiropractic coding. I understand that if it is an established patient you can not code an E/M level and a manipulation on the same day if it is the same diagnosis as before. My question is the Chiropractor I code for almost every time has an office level visit and a manipulation because he see's more injuries but it is almost never a different diagnosis. Does any know if we can code an E/M level and use a diagnosis of m99.0-m99.08 with out having a manipulation coded?

New to Chiro Coding

You may perform an E/M If there is a change of condition such as an exacerbation of a previous condition or a worsening of the current condition. Of course this doesn't guarantee the payor will reimburse you. Don't forget the -25 modifier on the E/M. So to recap, if the patient comes in for a scheduled treatment and during the course of treatment the patient complains of a new problem, exacerbation of a previous problem, unusual relapse/worsening of the current issue, etc., then an E/M is warranted. However, I will caution you that if the provider doesn't properly document this then you are playing with fire.