Wiki Newborn Car seat instructions

Sueedwards

True Blue
Best answers
Hi.... I was wondering if some one can help me. Our facility does newborn car seat instructions, our birthing center nurse and wonder how you charge this, or can you?

Any information would be wonderful.

thanks, Susan

Hi.... I was wondering if some one can help me. Our facility does newborn car seat instructions, our birthing center nurse and wonder how you charge this, or can you?

Any information would be wonderful.

thanks, Susan

I may be way off here, but what about the Counseling codes in the E/M section (99401-99404)? The CPT states that these codes are used to report services provided "for the purpose of promoting health and preventing illness or injury". I would consider proper car seat installation to be 'preventing illness or injury'. I have no idea if insurance will pay these codes, or if this type of service is even billable. Anyone else have any imput? I'm curious now! :)

Well I am trying to find more information -

I know that in the State of Vermont, the staff is state certified for the testing, but I am wondering if that is actually bundled into the whole package of delivery.

But on the other hand, there is separate CPT codes for it??

Well I am trying to find more information -

I know that in the State of Vermont, the staff is state certified for the testing, but I am wondering if that is actually bundled into the whole package of delivery.

But on the other hand, there is separate CPT codes for it??

Susan, there are separate codes (94780, 94781 - new for 2012), but they're pulmonary medicine codes and require lots of observation, reporting and documentation. Our Respiratory Therapists sometimes use these codes for our NICU patients.

I'm thinking that "car seat instruction" might be more inclusive to the discharge instructions and/or the discharge service codes 99238 - 99239 if performed at discharge.

Best,
Jetttman

Last edited:
oh... I know our birthing center nurse's have gone through state certification for it....

interesting..... are you getting paid for them?

I beileve so. They're timed charges, and require some in-depth documentation. I don't think we do them as a standing-type discharge order for eveyone.

I appreciate your help and the staff is telling me that they do time and document the time.... I have been trying to find any information on the CMS website and I am coming up blank.

Thanks for your help again!! Much appreciated!!

I appreciate your help and the staff is telling me that they do time and document the time.... I have been trying to find any information on the CMS website and I am coming up blank.

Thanks for your help again!! Much appreciated!!

You're very welcome. Susan, I think the reason you won't find anything on CMS's site is that it's peds and not covered (unless you might happen to see something in a National Coverage Determination). I would look to the American Academy of Pediatrics' website. They usually have some great coding articles, and if any of your physicians are members, perhaps you can get access to the AAP's monthly on-line coding newsletter.

Best,
Jettman