Newly Certified CPC-A looking for entry level remote position

Best answers
Hello! My name is Addie Kimball and I'm looking to work remotely. I'm newly certified through the AAPC with CPC-A. I will be taking the Practicode to work off my 'A' as well. My resume is attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• Addie Kimball Resume 2016.doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 113
Hello! My name is Addie Kimball and I'm looking to work remotely. I'm newly certified through the AAPC with CPC-A. I will be taking the Practicode to work off my 'A' as well. My resume is attached. Thanks!

Just to keep things in perspective, you do realize that virtually every company requires AT LEAST 3 years of full time coding experience before they will employ remote coders. Unfortunately, just because a coder is certified does not mean they know how to code. I have seen many certified coders who are so incompetent you wonder how they ever passed the exam. It really does happen. Knowledge basically comes with experience, not with letters after your name. That being said, certification is important.

Employers do this because coding is difficult and getting more difficult every year. If you don't have experience and don't know what you're doing, there is a big liability issue. Coding is the biggest compliance issue for companies.

So, my best advice is to get some in-house coding experience first. There are a handful of companies who will employ remote coders who have no experience but they really are the exception rather than the rule.

Just to keep things in perspective, you do realize that virtually every company requires AT LEAST 3 years of full time coding experience before they will employ remote coders. Unfortunately, just because a coder is certified does not mean they know how to code. I have seen many certified coders who are so incompetent you wonder how they ever passed the exam. It really does happen. Knowledge basically comes with experience, not with letters after your name. That being said, certification is important.

Employers do this because coding is difficult and getting more difficult every year. If you don't have experience and don't know what you're doing, there is a big liability issue. Coding is the biggest compliance issue for companies.

So, my best advice is to get some in-house coding experience first. There are a handful of companies who will employ remote coders who have no experience but they really are the exception rather than the rule.

Right I understand and realize that. However, I'm currently a Stay at Home Mom who cannot afford to put her son into daycare. Therefore remote is what I'm looking for. No harm in trying to find it.

Right I understand and realize that. However, I'm currently a Stay at Home Mom who cannot afford to put her son into daycare. Therefore remote is what I'm looking for. No harm in trying to find it.

I'm going to be as truthful as possible and not sugar coat this. Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm truly trying to be helpful.

Ill start with the good news. There are typically remote positions in the HCC (risk adjustment) area for inexperienced coders. Many of the HCC companies do hire and train CPC-A. I believe the hiring push is over for now but they will ramp up again next year.

Now on to the bad news, I'm sorry if anyone lied to you about flexibility (hence my dislike of sugar coating). Remote coding companies will expect you to have child care arranged. Entry level remote are typically 9-5 inflexible jobs so you would be tied to your home office. You wont have time to take care of your child and work at the same time. Many have you sign an agreement that the job is not being used in place of child care. Many years ago these flexible jobs may have been more common but now the market is saturated with experienced coders that remote companies can be more discriminating in their hiring practices when it comes to coding experience. Again sorry if this came across as harsh but its important to have realistic expectations.

regarding HCC

[/QUOTE]
I'm going to be as truthful as possible and not sugar coat this. Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm truly trying to be helpful.

Ill start with the good news. There are typically remote positions in the HCC (risk adjustment) area for inexperienced coders. Many of the HCC companies do hire and train CPC-A. I believe the hiring push is over for now but they will ramp up again next year.

Now on to the bad news, I'm sorry if anyone lied to you about flexibility (hence my dislike of sugar coating). Remote coding companies will expect you to have child care arranged. Entry level remote are typically 9-5 inflexible jobs so you would be tied to your home office. You wont have time to take care of your child and work at the same time. Many have you sign an agreement that the job is not being used in place of child care. Many years ago these flexible jobs may have been more common but now the market is saturated with experienced coders that remote companies can be more discriminating in their hiring practices when it comes to coding experience. Again sorry if this came across as harsh but its important to have realistic expectations.

well thats great news for new comer..Well can u update me regarding this HCC related? right now i just started my coding..and as you mention about daycare with kids.i did that too so i can atleast step into the medical coding world. But i would love to know about this . If you give me any link or any update ,will be great help...my email is kcdangarwala@gmail.com . specially with two little kids ,very very hard to manage but i want to do n i will do it. So your little help will help me to explore.

thank you so much for your approach towards new coder as it is necessary to know the reality. I like the way you describe .

waiting for your reply,
Khyati Dangarwala.