Wiki Nexplanon

HBULLOCK

Best answers
We are going to start using this in our office. I have never billed it though. I was wondering which cpt/dx to use? The paperwork I got shows surgical codes 11981/11982/11983 and j7307 with dx of v25.5/v25.43/v45.52. I would just like to be sure so I thought OB/Gyn could help me. Thanks ladies!!

11981 for the insertion encounter / V25.5 dx code
11982 for removal encounter / V25.43 dx code
11983 if it is removed and a new one placed in the same encounter / V25.5 and V25.43 dx codes

V45.52 is basically a status code meaning it's incidental to whatever the primary service is (i.e. well woman exam/pap). I would not use this with any of the above CPT codes.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks so much for the response. I work in Pedi and this is new for us. Just wanted to do it correctly. Thanks again!:)

follow up weird case - patient cam in for removal of old and reinsertion - 11983 - then developed a complication which necessitated the immediate removal of the new device - 11982. however NCCI edits do not allow both CPTs on the same DOS. even though the device was successfully inserted, do we treat this like an unsuccessful attempt and code only for the removal? Coding team has already attempted to use mod -58 and -78 to no avail

follow up weird case - patient cam in for removal of old and reinsertion - 11983 - then developed a complication which necessitated the immediate removal of the new device - 11982. however NCCI edits do not allow both CPTs on the same DOS. even though the device was successfully inserted, do we treat this like an unsuccessful attempt and code only for the removal? Coding team has already attempted to use mod -58 and -78 to no avail
Had you considered 11983-22? As we say many times, some are easy and some are hard, but there is not always a way to get paid when it is harder.