Wiki Object on Penis

Jackie

Best answers
My doctor saw a patient at the ER with a ball bearing around his penis and the doctor had to cut both of the metal circular parts off with a drummel tool. I can find foreign objects in the penis but not one for cutting an object from around it. This took over an hour to do this. Any suggestions???

My doctor saw a patient at the ER with a ball bearing around his penis and the doctor had to cut both of the metal circular parts off with a drummel tool. I can find foreign objects in the penis but not one for cutting an object from around it. This took over an hour to do this. Any suggestions???

I don't want to know how it got there...

I'd suggest billing a prolonged service code with your ER visit, or adding a 22 modifier. I doubt there's a procedure code to cover that. ;)

If the patient was registered as an ED patient and you are using the ED E/M codes, the 99281-99285 services do not have estimated times associated with them to utliize prolonged services codes. Modifier 22 cannot be appended to E/M services.

Unless an incision was made, the removal is captured in the E/M. This would be similar to a ring on a finger entrapment, albeit the penis is a much more vascular organ and the embarrassment factor was probably tenfold.

Last edited:
If the patient was registered as an ED patient and you are using the ED E/M codes, the 99281-99285 services do not have estimated times associated with them to utliize prolonged services codes. Modifier 22 cannot be appended to E/M services.

Unless an incision was made, the removal is captured in the E/M. This would be similar to a ring on a finger entrapment, albeit the penis is a much more vascular organ and the embarrassment factor was probably tenfold.

Do you think it would be considered a significant threat to physiologic function? Might be able to pull off a higher level E/M if the rest of the documentation meets the requirements. It really seems like they should be able to capture the complexity of the work somehow.

I can only imagine how embarassing that must have been - for everyone involved. I wonder how long the guy dealt with it before he finally decided to go to the ER...

Do you think it would be considered a significant threat to physiologic function? Might be able to pull off a higher level E/M if the rest of the documentation meets the requirements. It really seems like they should be able to capture the complexity of the work somehow.

I can only imagine how embarassing that must have been - for everyone involved. I wonder how long the guy dealt with it before he finally decided to go to the ER...

I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at the Table of Risk. If you asked a man, he'd say, "H E L L , YES! Assign critical care!" :) If using the ED codes and further w/u like Doppler studies or uroflowmetry are ordered, a high E/M could be assigned if the documentation is there. I read that penile incarceration has been reported since 1755. Some of the case reports note 5-17 hours of incarceration. Dremel tool and penis should not be used in the same sentence.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at the Table of Risk. If you asked a man, he'd say, "H E L L , YES! Assign critical care!" :) If using the ED codes and further w/u like Doppler studies or uroflowmetry are ordered, a high E/M could be assigned if the documentation is there. I read that penile incarceration has been reported since 1755. Some of the case reports note 5-17 hours of incarceration. Dremmel tool and penis should not be used in the same sentence.

LMAO! Funniest crap I've read all day...:D

Jackie, I just had a similar incident. My surgeon did have to do an incision and slight debridement. I used an unlisted male CPT and compared to 10121.