Wiki observation admit/discharge same day

Best answers
Need help....
Here is the scenario:
One doctor admits patient to observation, different doctor discharges patient from observation - all in same day and would use codes 99234-99236.

However, if these doctors are from different practices, would each doctor then use the appropriate code from the 99234-99236 series and append modifier 52 for reduced services?

Any help or direction would be great!
Thanks in advance.:)

I would say that the admitting doctor would use an Obs. admit code 99218-99220 and the discharging doctor would use 99217, because they are from different practices.

same day obs

if two physicians from different practices were involved, was one of the physicians asked to consult on the case. if so, then the admitting physician would code the same day obervation admit/discharge code and the consulting physician could bill a consult code. Otherwise, I think only one physician can code the admit/discharge and the two of them will have to decide who is going to bill for the service.

I don't know how this would happen. Normally the admitting is the discharging physician. BUT in any case, jvalntine is right. The admitting would bill the initial obs 99218-99220 and the discharging would bill 99217.