Wiki Open Fracture

fish4codes

Networker
Best answers
I have a note on an assault victim with multiple wounds (muscle, tendon, artery, bone) bilateral hands. One injury, specifically, the ring finger sustained laceration over distal phalanx with gross contamination, nerve and tendon lacerations and a fracture of the middle phalanx which was treated with ORIF. Is this considered an "open fracture". Surgeon states the soft tissue surrounding the fracture site was intact. AAOS definition of open fractures leads me to think it would be with statements such as, "...open fx is a fx in which there is an open wound or break in the skin "near" the site of the broken bone. "Most" often the wound is caused by a fragment of bone breaking through the skin at the moment of injury". Any guidance is much appreciated!

Are you looking for DX or PX? You can do an open treatment on a closed fracture and closed treatment on an open fracture. For the repair open is incision made remote from the fracture site to repair the fracture.

I have a note on an assault victim with multiple wounds (muscle, tendon, artery, bone) bilateral hands. One injury, specifically, the ring finger sustained laceration over distal phalanx with gross contamination, nerve and tendon lacerations and a fracture of the middle phalanx which was treated with ORIF. Is this considered an "open fracture". Surgeon states the soft tissue surrounding the fracture site was intact. AAOS definition of open fractures leads me to think it would be with statements such as, "...open fx is a fx in which there is an open wound or break in the skin "near" the site of the broken bone. "Most" often the wound is caused by a fragment of bone breaking through the skin at the moment of injury". Any guidance is much appreciated!
Provider needs to state it's an open fracture.......if the soft tissue around the fracture site was intact it is considered closed (and displaced).