Wiki opiate vs opiod

metzger130

Networker
Best answers
We are billing drug screens and I am getting confused what an opiate is vs what and opiod is. Specifically, we are looking at Codeine, Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone, Morphine, and Naloxone. I am being told that Codeine, Hydrocodone, hydromorphone, and morphine are Opiates and naloxone would be an Opioid. can anyone point me in a direction so I can understand what is what. Person is also stating that what is and what isn't an opiate were clarified this year.

Can someone help me please and thank you

Rob

Found this out on the web. Hope it helps!

Opiates are alkaloids derived from the opium poppy. Opium is a strong pain relieving medication, and a number of drugs are also made from this source.

Types Of Opiates

Morphine
Codeine
Heroin
Opium

Opioids are synthetic or partly-synthetic drugs that are manufactured to work in a similar way to opiates. Their active ingredients are made via chemical synthesis. Opioids may act like opiates when taken for pain because they have similar molecules.

Types Of Opioids

Methadone
Percocet, Percodan, OxyContin (oxycodone)
Vicodin, Lorcet, Lortab (hydrocodone)
Demerol (pethidine)
Dilaudid (hydromorphone)
Duragesic (fentanyl)

Per 2016 AMA CPT Professional code book:

Opiate: Medicinal category of narcotic alkaloid drugs that are natural products of the opium poppy plant, Papaver somniferum. This immunoassay class of drugs typically includes detection of codeine, dihydrocodeine, hydrocodone, hydromorphone and morphine

Opioids: A category of medicinal synthetic or semi-synthetic narcotic alkaloid receptor stimulating drugs including butorphanol, desomorphine, dextromethorphan, levorphanol, meperidine, naloxone, naltrexone, normeperidine and pentazocine.