Wiki Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery?

ruhood

Best answers
Does anyone have any experience in this area? Can you point me to some learning resources? I have an interview for a possible job in this specialty. I would appreciate any tips anyone has. Thank you.

I don't have any information about it but I do know of an organization that will soon be offering a dental coding course and certified dental coder exam. Are you interested in becoming a certified dental coder?

ruhood,

Email me privately and I can maybe help you. I worked for an O/M practice years ago. Its mostly surgery, not so much dental. If the dental part is scaring you, dont worry too much about it. I hadn't done dental before then and didn't have any problem getting up to speed.

Machelle
CPC, CPC-H, CPC-E/M

I went from FP to OMS

ruhood,

After nearly ten years in Family Practice, I switched to Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery. I had never done any dental coding either but if you are a pretty quick study, you can pick up on it pretty fast. The biggest challenge I have is that often a surgery will have to go to the patient's medical insurance first then to the dental insurance. It can get confusing trying to make sure you have sent the claim to every insurance company the patient has (I have one case where a child has 5 insurances!). If the company you are interviewing with has a good software package (preferably an OMS software) it can make things much easier. I leave myself extensive notes on the claims in my software so I know what has & hasn't been done. Also, there are some really good books that can help you convert codes from dental to medical and vice versa. If you ever have specific questions, you can PM me and I will try to help.

Also, someone on this thread mentioned a company where you can become a certified dental coder. I might be interested in this. My doctors are very good about continuing education and certification. Please PM me the info so I can check it out. Thanks!

Good luck in the interview process. It is a challenging field but not impossible!

Jennifer, CPC

Thank you Machelle and Jennifer for your offers to help! I don't really know the questions to ask right now, but I will definitely be in contact if this job works out for me.