Orthopaedic coding question

BRRBRR

Best answers
What is the best CPT code to use for a Facet fusion L4-S1? I was guided towards 22612 but the notes clearly say don't use regular fusion codes for a facet fusion

Hi BRRBRR,
Look on pgs. 161 and 167 in CPT manual yr 2022 I d use one of the CPT codes 22849 to 22855. This also depends on how surgery done on stomach or side per surgeon notes. The code 0221T is not the CPT to use. Hope I helped you
Lady T :)

0221T is in the book, it's a Category III code located toward the back before the Appendices. They are a set of temporary codes for emerging technology. If considered a covered service by the payer, sometimes the payer will accept Category III codes but each payer would have to be checked before using.
22849 and 22855 are not the correct codes. 22849 is for reinsertion of spinal fixation (meaning they remove a fixation device already present from a prior surgery and replace/reinsert it in the exact same location) and 22855 is removal of anterior instrumentation (taking out prior anterior instrumentation). In no way are either of these codes a facet fusion.

There is a CPT Assistant Nov 10:8, Jul 11:18 you may want to reference notated with 0221T as well.

PROCEDURES: RIGHT TOTAL KNEE ARTHROPLASTY (ZIMMER).
1. FEMORAL SIZE-SIZE E; RIGHT.
2. TIBIAL SIZE 6.
3. ARTICULAR SURFACE-SIZE E-RIGHT; 10-MM HEIGHT.
4. TAPER STEM PLUG AND STEM EXTENSION SCREW.

can some help me in this one .do i need to code all 4 or just procedure(RIGHT TOTAL KNEE ARTHROPLASTY (ZIMMER).) cpt code : 27447

PROCEDURES: RIGHT TOTAL KNEE ARTHROPLASTY (ZIMMER).
1. FEMORAL SIZE-SIZE E; RIGHT.
2. TIBIAL SIZE 6.
3. ARTICULAR SURFACE-SIZE E-RIGHT; 10-MM HEIGHT.
4. TAPER STEM PLUG AND STEM EXTENSION SCREW.

can some help me in this one .do i need to code all 4 or just procedure(RIGHT TOTAL KNEE ARTHROPLASTY (ZIMMER).) cpt code : 27447
27447 for total knee arthroplasty is all you need to code

PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Chronic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infected right total knee replacement arthroplasty.

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Chronic methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infected right total knee replacement arthroplasty.

NAME OF PROCEDURE: Irrigation, debridement, washing out with Betadine and drainage of wound.

Icd 10 cm code : B95.62 is for MRSA and Z96.651 is the correct code for it,
and CPT: Do we need to code Irrigation, debridement, washing drainage of wound ?

Last edited: