Wiki Orthopedic Clinic E&M Level 5 for 2021

Best answers
I am looking for some input on what guidelines are being used for High complexity of problems addressed, in regards to orthopedics. Our providers seem to think about it differently than I do. They feel that deciding to do surgery on a rotator cuff, ACL etc is considered high complexity and I do not. Part of the problem is there doesn't seem to be good examples of orthopedic problems that are of high complexity. I would appreciate any help or ideas

Lisa S

I am looking for some input on what guidelines are being used for High complexity of problems addressed, in regards to orthopedics. Our providers seem to think about it differently than I do. They feel that deciding to do surgery on a rotator cuff, ACL etc is considered high complexity and I do not. Part of the problem is there doesn't seem to be good examples of orthopedic problems that are of high complexity. I would appreciate any help or ideas

Lisa S
Decision to perform major surgery without risk factors is moderate (level 4), the number of diagnoses would be low - level 3 (acute uncomplicated problem, although it could possibly be moderate if it was a severe injury maybe requiring more than one surgery), and the data would probably be low for ordering/reviewing/interpreting x rays/MRI. Best you would get would be a level 4 unless they documented on time. As far as basing the code on MDM, 4 would be the very highest for those kind of problems - rotator cuff, ACL. Interested why your providers think these are high complexity.

Decision to perform major surgery without risk factors is moderate (level 4), the number of diagnoses would be low - level 3 (acute uncomplicated problem, although it could possibly be moderate if it was a severe injury maybe requiring more than one surgery), and the data would probably be low for ordering/reviewing/interpreting x rays/MRI. Best you would get would be a level 4 unless they documented on time. As far as basing the code on MDM, 4 would be the very highest for those kind of problems - rotator cuff, ACL. Interested why your providers think these are high complexity.
I am running into the same problem with our providers. Our providers seem to think that as long as the DX says severe, for example severe osteoarthritis is a level 5, and they are going to do a total knee, hip, etc, and that they think it is a level 5 as well. There explanation is that it requires hospitalization in regards to DX and the procedure has identified risk factors. I don't think of it that way, but they hate the idea that all of this is extremely subjective. What do you think?

I am running into the same problem with our providers. Our providers seem to think that as long as the DX says severe, for example severe osteoarthritis is a level 5, and they are going to do a total knee, hip, etc, and that they think it is a level 5 as well. There explanation is that it requires hospitalization in regards to DX and the procedure has identified risk factors. I don't think of it that way, but they hate the idea that all of this is extremely subjective. What do you think?
I think there should be a totally separate E&M audit tool for orthopedic surgeon practices, lol.