Wiki Over Payment Recovery

Best answers
I recently went over all the claims that have an insurance credit owed to them. Some of these credits date years back! It seems very overwhelming. As a new policy, if a biller sees that an insurance over paid we call them within that next week. Can we send the claims in as void to have the insurance re-coop their money? This seems to happen a lot and I am not sure why. I will send a claim to a primary insurance company leaving the balance at $20. When I send the copay to the secondary they pay the whole thing. I always send over the COB as well.

This will vary depending on the insurance company. The patient may need to verify and let the "secondary" insurance know they are really the secondary insurance. Or, the secondary may have a claims processing error. I would not want to void claims unless the claim is really voided for whatever reason though.

Looking for verification- I have many credits, some are years old. I am going through them and processing refund checks. Many of these are when patient has a primary that pays, then we bill Partnership or Medi-cal secondary, but they pay as primary. I have been refunding these regardless of how old they are. Just looking for any tips or rules for this. Also, the 2 secondaries. I have many of those as well. Thank you for any help you can give me. Rebilling and asking for recoupment is not an option for these. I am working down the rest of the credits left after our billing was outsourced and I don't want the money to be recouped from their payments.