Wiki P07.10 - P07.18 - Low birth weight question

chelbi

Best answers
Does the code for low birth weight changes as the baby gains weight in NICU? I am auditing neonatology and cannot find any documentation to back me up. All references to "birth" weight and the ICD-10 guideline that states (Section I, Chapter 16, e) Low birth weight and immaturity status: Codes from category P07.... are for use for a child or adult who was premature or had a low birth weight as a newborn and this is affecting the patient's current health status." If the codes from this section can be used for child or adult who's current health is affected by low birth weight, it stands to reason that the birth weight code should remain the same FOREVER.

Example: Baby's birth weight of 1765 grams at birth = P07.17 (1750-1999 grams).

Baby still in NICU one month later and now weighs 2213 grams. Does the reportable dx for weight CHANGE to P07.18 (2000-2499 grams)?

I want to find definitive authority on the subject but cannot! Does anyone have guidance to which to direct me?

Any help is better than none! Thank you!

M. Myrick, CPC, CPMA, CPC-I

Miss Peggy

The birth weight codes are based on the actual birth weight, which doesn't change, so the code selected based on that would remain the same throughout the stay.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply. I agree 100%, but , do you happen to have an authority reference other than the ICD-10 guidelines?