PA visit, then MD 2nd opinion visit,same day

kls1027

Best answers
Hello,
I feel like I should know this but I am questioning myself. Patient has visit with PA and would like a second opinion. MD from same office gives the second opinion on the same day. Visit components will be combined for one e/m visit charge.
Who can charge for this? The PA since they saw them first or the MD?

Thanks!

Best answers
Hello,
I feel like I should know this but I am questioning myself. Patient has visit with PA and would like a second opinion. MD from same office gives the second opinion on the same day. Visit components will be combined for one e/m visit charge.
Who can charge for this? The PA since they saw them first or the MD?

Thanks!

Is this for a new or established condition? Is the MD the supervising physician for the PA? How much work is done by each? I'm finding conflicting information about this and a lot of it discusses these questions.

thomas7331

True Blue
Best answers
Assuming your PA and MD are practicing in the same specialty and both documented a face-to-face evaluation of the patient, then this would qualify as a 'shared visit' and would be billed under the MD.

thomas7331

True Blue
Best answers
Just to add some clarification to my previous post, the shared visit would be billed under the MD in a facility location. If this is an office service, to bill the combined services under the MD, the 'incident to' requirements must also be met - if not, then it should be billed under the PA (unless the MD's documentation alone is sufficient to support the level of the E/M service). Hope that's not too confusing.