Wiki PA visit, then MD 2nd opinion visit,same day

kls1027

Best answers
Hello,
I feel like I should know this but I am questioning myself. Patient has visit with PA and would like a second opinion. MD from same office gives the second opinion on the same day. Visit components will be combined for one e/m visit charge.
Who can charge for this? The PA since they saw them first or the MD?

Thanks!

Hello,
I feel like I should know this but I am questioning myself. Patient has visit with PA and would like a second opinion. MD from same office gives the second opinion on the same day. Visit components will be combined for one e/m visit charge.
Who can charge for this? The PA since they saw them first or the MD?

Thanks!

Is this for a new or established condition? Is the MD the supervising physician for the PA? How much work is done by each? I'm finding conflicting information about this and a lot of it discusses these questions.

Assuming your PA and MD are practicing in the same specialty and both documented a face-to-face evaluation of the patient, then this would qualify as a 'shared visit' and would be billed under the MD.

Just to add some clarification to my previous post, the shared visit would be billed under the MD in a facility location. If this is an office service, to bill the combined services under the MD, the 'incident to' requirements must also be met - if not, then it should be billed under the PA (unless the MD's documentation alone is sufficient to support the level of the E/M service). Hope that's not too confusing.