Wiki Pacemaker removed from left side and reinserted on right

gkahler99

New
Best answers
Patient has left side pacemaker and is diagnosed with left side breast cancer. The pacemaker was removed and set aside and the 2 leads were extracted. The original pacemaker generator was reinserted in the right side with 2 new leads. I think I can bill the 33233 for generator removal and 33235 for the extraction of the leads and 33217 for the insertion of the new leads. Is there something I can bill for the reinsertion of the original generator?

You can't bill for removal of the generator because it is being reinserted so it is not a 'removal' per se. Nor can you bill for the reinsertion.

You should bill 33222 for relocation of the pacemaker pocket instead, and 33235, 33217

You can't bill for removal of the generator because it is being reinserted so it is not a 'removal' per se. Nor can you bill for the reinsertion.

You should bill 33222 for relocation of the pacemaker pocket instead, and 33235, 33217
The leads were removed and discarded in the first procedure and new leads were inserted so I can't bill 33222 because it says - A new pocket is formed in the subq tissue within the reach of the already present electrodes. The electrodes are tunneled to the new pocket. So it looks like the only thing I can bill for is the lead extraction and insertion?