Wiki Pain management Question- 2 Docs performing procedure during same session

erinal

Networker
Best answers
Hello all! I need some help. I work for a pain management clinic and one of our Dr's is going to perform a stim trial on a patient during a laminectomy that will be performed by a different Dr. SO...how do we code this? We will be performing the 63650 and the other dr will be performing the 63655 during the same session and the patient will be inpt. I was thinking both my dr and the other dr's office needs to bill both codes and then append the appropriate modifiers? The other Dr will be performing most of the work since he will be following him during his inpt stay...and I don't know much about inpt coding and how that goes. We have never collaborated with another Dr before and never under these circumstances. Your assistance is appreciated!

consider that both physicians are performing parts of the 63655 procedure - one is doing the laminectomy portion and the other is doing the implantation of the epidural neurostimulator lead or paddle. If this is the case, then both physicians would report the 63655 code with modifier 62 and make sure the documentation supports the medical necessity for the two providers. Medicare would process the claim at 125% of the allowed amount with 62.5% to each physician.