Wiki Pap smear

alisan

Contributor
Best answers
Does anyone know if BCBS and commercial insurances will pay a pap smear for a patient under 21 years old? The doctor is Family practice, not an OBGYN. Thanks!

befuddled

I have an added question to that if you are billing BCBS for a pap smear what procedure code are you using for it?

thanks

there is no CPT code for a PAP. the Q0091 is for a screening PAP collection as a part of a preventive. this is accepted by most payers.

I was taught in a training that I went to a few years ago that an office doing the pap smear collection that a 88147 could be billed along with the preventative code. Can someone please shed some light for me. :confused:

Pap with OV

I was also wondering which CPT codes to use when a pap is performed with an 99213 for BCBS? I think it's Q0091 and G0101? I'm getting conflicting reports on the use of a G code in this situation some say yes some say no?? Help!

The G code is only for preventive services. If this is a diagnostic PAP then it is considered part of the office visit, if the visit is preventive you do not use a 99213