Wiki Patient Billing Questions

jnieto625

Networker
Best answers
I have run into several situations where husband and wife are both seen on the same day and question why their charges are not the same. They seem to think that because they are both here for the new patient appointments they should both be billed equally. I have tried to explain that the level of service is not the same because their medical conditions are not the same but they just don't get it. Does this happen to anyone else and how do you explain it to the patient so they understand? :(

I have run into several situations where husband and wife are both seen on the same day and question why their charges are not the same. They seem to think that because they are both here for the new patient appointments they should both be billed equally. I have tried to explain that the level of service is not the same because their medical conditions are not the same but they just don't get it. Does this happen to anyone else and how do you explain it to the patient so they understand? :(

Good question! It does happen to me on occasion but as you stated I explain that they don't have the same medical conditions, family history. I've also relied on my physician for guidance and on occasion the physician has called the pt to explain it, sometimes hearing it from the physician makes all the difference.

Good Luck,