• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Patient management at the hospital, doctor's orders. Is there a CPT that I am missing?

DK47

Networker
Messages
45
Location
Pueblo, CO
Patient presents to hospital with symptoms, RN is relaying patient symptoms to provider.
We have a provider telling our providers that they can bill for a service if they are giving an RN visit instruction over the phone. Provider hasn't seen the patient face to face or spoke to the patient.
Please let me know if I am missing something. I can't find anything with AMA or in the CPT manual.

Please see below:
"Patient arrives today for PEC rule out. At 35.6 Noted to have anemia and UTI, IV iron given along with Rocephin. Report +fm, Denies feeling contractions. Noted reactive NST baseline 140, irregular mild contractions" Note created by provider.
 
Patient presents to hospital with symptoms, RN is relaying patient symptoms to provider.
We have a provider telling our providers that they can bill for a service if they are giving an RN visit instruction over the phone. Provider hasn't seen the patient face to face or spoke to the patient.
Please let me know if I am missing something. I can't find anything with AMA or in the CPT manual.

Please see below:
"Patient arrives today for PEC rule out. At 35.6 Noted to have anemia and UTI, IV iron given along with Rocephin. Report +fm, Denies feeling contractions. Noted reactive NST baseline 140, irregular mild contractions" Note created by provider.
According to CPT, this is only reportable if the requesting person is a QHP. An RN does not qualify and is considered to be clinical staff who cannot bill for a service otherwise. I am referring to codes 99446-99449. The physician "consulted" but did not provide direct patient care (ie, a telephone call where the patient was present.).
 
According to CPT, this is only reportable if the requesting person is a QHP. An RN does not qualify and is considered to be clinical staff who cannot bill for a service otherwise. I am referring to codes 99446-99449. The physician "consulted" but did not provide direct patient care (ie, a telephone call where the patient was present.).
Thank you!
 
Top