PFSH documented as "non-contributory" - do you give credit?

tsmith19

New
Best answers
I have a provider who documented a patient's family history as "non-contributory". To me this statement is too vague. It isn't explicit what the provider means by that statement. This is a new patient visit, so counting (or not counting) this documentation will can make the difference between a detailed or comprehensive history. Are there any guidelines regarding this statement and whether it can be used to give credit for family history?

tahoffman01

Contributor
Best answers
A handout from CMS/Trailblazers states that you can not use the term "non-contributory". To be able to give credit it must have at least one documented aspect or say that it was reviewed and unchanged or something to that sort.

rthames052006

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I have a provider who documented a patient's family history as "non-contributory". To me this statement is too vague. It isn't explicit what the provider means by that statement. This is a new patient visit, so counting (or not counting) this documentation will can make the difference between a detailed or comprehensive history. Are there any guidelines regarding this statement and whether it can be used to give credit for family history?
Hello...

In the scenario you set forth I would not give credit for that statement. My reasoning being that this is a "new" pt to the practice you would want some type of family history, it could be relevant down the road.

If this were a visit for a "simple" visit like say sinusitis, something minor I would say it could be non-contributory to the presenting problem.

I get my providers into the habit of getting "some kind of fm hx".

Just my opinion