Wiki physician privileges??

asapwell

New
Best answers
Having a conversation with a friend who works for a different company about their P&P's. She believes that ER physicians can perform procedures anywhere in the hospital. It is my understanding it should be laid out in the credentialing/privileging process or med staff bylaws. So I'm just wondering if anyone is aware where I can find rules regarding where physicians are allowed to perform procedures?

Ex: Can the ER physician perform a procedure that is within their scope in the OR due to needing the use of anesthesia?

Hello, you're correct. ER physician and other practitioners subject to credentialing (varies by state laws and accreditation standards e.g. Joint Commission, NCQA, etc..) must be credentialed and privileged in the hospital in order to perform procedures based on the core privileges and/or special procedures they were approved for as defined in the hospital's medical staff bylaws. If the procedure and moderate sedation is included in the ER physicians approved delineation of privileges then yes, they can perform the procedure. However, if it's a procedure not within their scope and/or listed in their privilege form, they will need to submit a request to credentialing to validate their credentials/background before granting such procedure.
I hope this answers your question. Thank you