Wiki Port Insertion Question

schuchmanb

Best answers
Good morning. Hoping someone can help me with this one.

Pt with myasthenia gravis on plasmapheresis has two Vortex Ports placed. One from the left internal jugular, the other from the right internal jugular under ultrasound and fluoro guidance (properly documented). Would that be coded as 36561, 77001-26, 76937-26 x 2 or would I use the 36566 code here wth just one fluoro and us code? Which option I use is going to make a big difference in the charge amount. I have searched and searched but cannot find much information on the 36565/36566 codes. I know they require two separate punctures, but are they still used when the vessels accessed are bilateral?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Good morning. Hoping someone can help me with this one.

Pt with myasthenia gravis on plasmapheresis has two Vortex Ports placed. One from the left internal jugular, the other from the right internal jugular under ultrasound and fluoro guidance (properly documented). Would that be coded as 36561, 77001-26, 76937-26 x 2 or would I use the 36566 code here wth just one fluoro and us code? Which option I use is going to make a big difference in the charge amount. I have searched and searched but cannot find much information on the 36565/36566 codes. I know they require two separate punctures, but are they still used when the vessels accessed are bilateral?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

36565/66 describes placement of one venous device (ie port) requiring the use of two catheters (per device).

What you have is two venous devices (ports) placed using one catheter per device. I would code 36561 (x2), but only code the fluoro and u/s guidance codes once (per session).

HTH :)