Wiki port of cath removal dx ?

codedog

True Blue
Best answers
Patient had a porth cath removal -cpt code 36590. Diagnosis code said lymphoma with status post finished chemotherapeutic intervention. so DO i code as 202.80 with a v code , possible v66.2 or 67.2 orjust leave it as 202.80 ,not sure, any suggestions ? thanks

I wouldn't use the V codes you selected as they seem to be for a treatment of some sort because of the chemotherapy. The removal of the port-o-cath is usually done because the patient is finished receiving chemotherapy - in which case I would not code the lymphoma, unless it specifies the patient is still under treatment for this. Unless the port-o-cath is being removed because it is infected (then I would use a dx for the complication too) I usually code this with just V58.81 - fitting and adjustment of vascular catheter, removal or replacement.

Hope this helps. :)

Hi,

Look at V53.X (Fitting and adjustment of device)series for port of cath removal dx...

Hope it helps...

Regards,
Nalini CPC

ICD:portacath removal-V58.81

Patient had a portacath removal -cpt code 36590. Diagnosis code said lymphoma with status post finished chemotherapeutic intervention. so DO i code as 202.80 with a v code , possible v66.2 or 67.2 orjust leave it as 202.80 ,not sure, any suggestions ? thanks

My inputs

The "indication/px done" is portacath removal on the pt "with" lymphoma,s/p chemo.
My choice of code sequence is:

Pls look up
Admission (encounter) / for / fitting (of) portacath-V58.81
ICD rubric "includes" removal" or replacement of catheter.
Aftercare/removal of vascular device -V58.81 {CVAD(36575-36590)}

PDX is V58.81+
SDX-lymphoma
+
code reflecting "s/p chemo" ;Agree with your choice V67.2
(as V67.2 is closer than v58.69 current or h/o v87.41)

Thanks

Last edited: