postpartum check of vaginal repair

tag60

Guru
Best answers
Please help me with a diagnosis code for this patient who is 9 days status post vaginal delivery.

Per note: No episiotomy was done, but required repair. Exam of external vaginal: 2 stitches each labia and 4 stitches sulcus.

A/P: Tear of vaginal wall. Recommend hot sitz baths twice daily and return in 1-2 weeks for recheck.

Would this be O70.0, first-degree perineal laceration during delivery -- or is this no longer the current condition (since it was repaired)?
Or would I use an aftercare code, perhaps Z48.817, Encounter for surgical aftercare following surgery on the skin and subcutaneous tissue...??

Thanks in advance!

Bernadette10

Networker
Best answers
Followup visit after perineal laceration repair after delivery

Please help me with a diagnosis code for this patient who is 9 days status post vaginal delivery.

Per note: No episiotomy was done, but required repair. Exam of external vaginal: 2 stitches each labia and 4 stitches sulcus.

A/P: Tear of vaginal wall. Recommend hot sitz baths twice daily and return in 1-2 weeks for recheck.

Would this be O70.0, first-degree perineal laceration during delivery -- or is this no longer the current condition (since it was repaired)?
Or would I use an aftercare code, perhaps Z48.817, Encounter for surgical aftercare following surgery on the skin and subcutaneous tissue...??

Thanks in advance!
I have this same question. I think I would go with Z48.89 other specified aftercare since the laceration repair was included in the delivery and not coded separately. I wouldn't use the pregnancy code since the patient is no longer pregnant, and this visit isn't part of the hospital admission. If the laceration was completely healed I would use Z09.

KellyLR

Guru
Best answers
Hi,

If this was follow-up care, wouldn't this be part of the global package 59410? If the purpose of the visit was to only check the laceration healing, then I wouldn't think it would get coded separately. ACOG website has lots of information as go-by. Now if the laceration was more complex than second degree then ACOG would have specifics on how this would be reported if it is reported since this is a check with no active care involved during the followup. You could also use Modifier 22 to the delivery package code and try that.

Last edited: