Wiki Preop Physicial

kimb

Best answers
Need help. I had a Physician be little me and tell me that I did not know what I was doing in front of my co-workes. He did a pre-op on a patient and all he coded was V72.83, 401.1 & 250.00 with the consult code 99244. When I told him that the second diag. needed to be the reason the patient was having the surgery he got really upset with me and told me I was wrong. The understanding that I have is that you would code it like this:

99244 -
V72.3

The patient is havina a THR because of the DJD
Please help to clear this up for me

Pre operative Diagnosis code.

Hi Kim,

Yes you are correct , Accoring to ICD guidelines, we Have to code , Preoperative diagnosis code, then Reason for surgery, Then the diagnosis code found during consultation.

Thanks & Regards,
Prem kumar CPC.

Refer the physician to:
ICD-9-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting (usually located in front of the ICD-9-CM code book)
Section IV. Diagnostic Coding and Reporting Guideines for Outpatient Services
N. Patient receiving preoperative evaluations only

This will explain the exact rules to follow

Hi Kim,

Yes you are correct , Accoring to ICD guidelines, we Have to code , Preoperative diagnosis code, then Reason for surgery, Then the diagnosis code found during consultation.

Thanks & Regards,
Prem kumar CPC.

Thank you so much for the quick response it really does make me feel better.
Also codes 401.0 & 250.00 would only be used if they are new findings not pre-existing right.

Actually I would agree except that in primary care, we code the
pre-operative diagnosis, the surgical condition, and then the conditions
that necessitate the consult-(what is needing clearance prior to surgery?).
Sheila

kimb you're correct - I'd code it like you wrote it, but do keep the 401.9 and 250.00 because they're part of the reason the patient needed the pre-op.