Wiki Primary Dx and Dx pointers

Best answers
I have seen some billers listing a primary dx in the 3rd position (for example) however using the pointer to indicate it is a primary dx.
For example: R06.0 is listed in position c on the claim form. In 24e, the dx pointers are listed as c,b,a.
In my opinion this would be incorrect billing as the primary dx is not in the primary position however I am seeing it on a broad scale which would indicate some billers are using this as a common practice. Does anyone know if there have been updates made that would suggest this would or would not be appropriate?

The only restrictions is if the ICD should be placed at 1st otherwise pointing a DX is not incorrect billing. Sometimes you code ICD casually and then point DX to show which one is primary. My opinion it happens to me occasionally while creating charge.

I agree, there's nothing wrong with billing this way. The pointers determine the sequence of diagnosis codes for any given line - it doesn't matter what order they're listed in the claim header as long as each line has the correct pointer to the primary diagnosis as applies to that service.