Wiki Provider to medical coder ratio also Productivity benchmarks for multispecialty coders

carrieruth

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,

I am looking for resources to show provider to medical coder ratio in order to put together a business plan on adding additional coding staff, any resources or help would be wonderful.

At the same time we are trying to come up with some benchmarks and KPI's for coding staff productivity - if anyone has policies or benchmarks they would be willing to share i would be more than grateful.

Best regards,

Carrie Hatfield, CPC, CEMC, COSC

It took me three tries as i had a lot of questions over feet (bunionectomy, other foot issues) along with spine. It was the hardest test i have ever taken and that includes the CCS exam with AHIMA.

Just know the entire orthopedic section of the CPT book, modifiers (rt, lt, toes, etc). I also took it under ICD 9 diagnosis coding, so i am not sure how it is with ICD 10 diagnosis coding. I would be familiar with the coding combinations and coding guidelines for orthopedic maladies.

Hope this helps.

Hello,

I am looking for resources to show provider to medical coder ratio in order to put together a business plan on adding additional coding staff, any resources or help would be wonderful.

At the same time we are trying to come up with some benchmarks and KPI's for coding staff productivity - if anyone has policies or benchmarks they would be willing to share i would be more than grateful.

Best regards,

Carrie Hatfield, CPC, CEMC, COSC
MGMA says 2.7 coder/billers per full time provider. However, that completely depends on the productivity of said provider. Frankly, I feel that is a bit high if the coder/biller is efficient. I am one coder/biller to 2 providers that are 1 FTE equivalent. If your EHR is a good one, it should do most of the work leaving coding and f/u a/r to the staff. My opinion.

It took me three tries as i had a lot of questions over feet (bunionectomy, other foot issues) along with spine. It was the hardest test i have ever taken and that includes the CCS exam with AHIMA.

Just know the entire orthopedic section of the CPT book, modifiers (rt, lt, toes, etc). I also took it under ICD 9 diagnosis coding, so i am not sure how it is with ICD 10 diagnosis coding. I would be familiar with the coding combinations and coding guidelines for orthopedic maladies.

Hope this helps.
I’m going for my SEVENTH try on June 19th. It’s by far the hardest test I’ve taken to date. Along with not being a great test taker. I know the material, it’s just not the same.