Wiki Providers Coding VS Certified Coder's Coding from Documentation?

Who codes out your visits for billing to insurance from documentation in your office?

• Total voters

altman76

New
Best answers
Hello -

We are looking for any response to this inquiry, local (SC) or national.

Does the providers within your offices code out any of their visits themselves or is a certified coder doing everything after the visit is documented by the provider?

Thank you everyone for your response to this inquiry.

The providers in my clinic code their own visits and procedures, and I review the chart notes and then discuss with the provider if I think the coding may be inaccurate. I would then encourage them to correct/supplement the documentation to support the codes they chose.

My providers are billing their own E&M. I code anything done in the hospital - surgery, ER, consultations - and global OB care. Provider's ask me coding questions for office procedures when needed. We do have a regional team that does E&M coding audits yearly and provide education to the providers for things lacking.

Hello
In my career past, the doctors listed DX. and CPT codes but the medical coder ensured it matched the documentation written by the provider's using HPI, ROS, and MEAT proof. Coders are the expert of the ICD10, CPT manuals and understanding the NCCI edits.
I hope this helps
Lady T:cool: