Wiki Psych Diagnosis for a Medical Provider

Best answers
I work at an Inpatient Psychiatric Hospital. We have both Psychiatrist and Medical Providers treating patients. I had a medical provider ask if she could use diagnosis code F45.0 (Somatization Disorder) for when she's treating a patient. Although it's in the ICD-10-CM Mental Disorder category, it does effect a patient physically. Could our medical provider use this code along with our psychiatrist?

Thank you :)

There are no restrictions on what codes a medical provider may or may not 'use'. If the provider is treating a psychiatric condition, or if that condition affects the treatment or medical decisions being made at the encounter, then it's correct to submit the codes for that condition in reporting the services for the encounter.

I work at an Inpatient Psychiatric Hospital. We have both Psychiatrist and Medical Providers treating patients. I had a medical provider ask if she could use diagnosis code F45.0 (Somatization Disorder) for when she's treating a patient. Although it's in the ICD-10-CM Mental Disorder category, it does effect a patient physically. Could our medical provider use this code along with our psychiatrist?

Thank you :)
The providers may use any diagnosis that qualifies as being relevant to the patient's care, there are no restrictions there unless there's a conflict with gender or age (maternal codes/pediatric codes). I do know that some payors will not accept behavioral health codes as primary diagnoses for non-psychiatric physicians. If the non-psychiatric physician needs to use a BH diagnosis for a patient, I'd see if it's possible to use that code in addition to another diagnosis code (assuming there is another Dx listed). This may help to prevent a denial, while still using the appropriate code for the patient's diagnoses. i.e. Use the F45.0, but do not use it as primary if possible.