Wiki pulmonary hypertension codes

sprice

New
Best answers
I find myself confused when coding echos with the pulmonary hypertension codes. When do I code secondary vs primary pulmonary hypertension?

If the diagnosis specifies it as "primary," then you would code that, I27.0. (One site I found on this condition states primary pulmonary hypertension is rare.)

If the diagnosis is just "pulmonary hypertension" the Index leads to I27.2, other secondary pulmonary hypertension. Secondary pulmonary HTN is the result of some other disease or underlying condition, and that would be coded as well. (I don't have my coding book with me right now, but you can check for "code also" when looking up this code.) So, when not otherwise specified, code it as secondary.

I hope this answers your question.

LV dysfunction

If the diagnosis specifies it as "primary," then you would code that, I27.0. (One site I found on this condition states primary pulmonary hypertension is rare.)

If the diagnosis is just "pulmonary hypertension" the Index leads to I27.2, other secondary pulmonary hypertension. Secondary pulmonary HTN is the result of some other disease or underlying condition, and that would be coded as well. (I don't have my coding book with me right now, but you can check for "code also" when looking up this code.) So, when not otherwise specified, code it as secondary.

I hope this answers your question.

What code is appropriate for LV dysfunction?