Wiki Question about Medicare fee schedule

coder25

Guru
Best answers
Good afternoon!

My manager asked me to locate what Medicare will pay for a bone densimeter. They are looking into purchasing a machine. I found a couple of CPT codes, but not sure which one I am supposed to use and was hoping someone could help.

Codes I could find on Highmark Medicare site were:

G0130

Which ones would I use to code, HCPCS alone or with another CPT code.

Thanks in advance for your help!

These are different tests, so it will depend on which ones you are conducting. 77081 DUAL-ENERGY X-RAY ABSORPTIOMETRY (DXA), BONE DENSITY STUDY, 1 OR MORE SITES; APPENDICULAR SKELETON (PERIPHERAL) (EG, RADIUS, WRIST, HEEL)
77083 RADIOGRAPHIC ABSORPTIOMETRY (EG, PHOTODENSITOMETRY, RADIOGRAMMETRY), 1 OR MORE SITES
G0130 SINGLE ENERGY X-RAY ABSORPTIOMETRY (SEXA) BONE DENSITY STUDY, ONE OR MORE SITES; APPENDICULAR SKELETON (PERIPHERAL) (EG, RADIUS, WRIST, HEEL)

Here is a current coverage determination from CMS. It has descriptions of what is covered and when.
http://www.cms.gov/mcd/viewlcd.asp?...y):Carrier:CIGNA+Government+Services+(05130):

Hi Guru,
My manager asked me the same thing. I went on the link suggested above and it does not give a price for anything. We are wanting to purchase the US bone density 76977. If you find out what medicare pays could you please let me know? Thank you
Velma CPC