Wiki Question on Neurostimulators

ljrj0721

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Good Morning,
I wanted to check and see if anyone has had to bill for Neurostimulators ( PNS) We are billing with CPT codes 64555, 64590 & 92971.
This was actually a neurostimulator implanted in the leg for pain control. We are unable to find a NCD or LCD and are getting denied by Medicare.
Has anyone had any experience in billing for these codes.
Thanks so much for any help.

Good Morning,
I wanted to check and see if anyone has had to bill for Neurostimulators ( PNS) We are billing with CPT codes 64555, 64590 & 92971.
This was actually a neurostimulator implanted in the leg for pain control. We are unable to find a NCD or LCD and are getting denied by Medicare.
Has anyone had any experience in billing for these codes.
Thanks so much for any help.
I work in OMFS. We insert hypoglossal nerve stimulators. Code 64582
We can put these in for all insurance except Medicare and it is because they have something in their stipulations that it must be done by ENT and our taxonomy code is for oral maxillofacial surgery. Might be something to look at.

Hi, You have to make sure to use DX codes for obstructive sleep apnea, and also BMI. Without those two (and the BMI being high, I'm not sure what the cutoff is for this though), it will not be seen as medically necessary.