Wiki Question on Practicode

Best answers
I just started Practicode and I am currently in Module One. One of the cases, the patient had DJD in both knees but only had one knee worked on. I listed the diagnosis code as bilateral DJD of the knees. We were taught to read the op report to verify dx codes & procedure codes. My answer was marked wrong since only the left knee was operated on. I could see that for a procedure code but not a dx code. Can someone explain why I should code only left knee DJD as a diagnosis when the op report clearly stated he had bilateral DJD? Thanks, A. Kaye

I believe there code be a guideline on this but can’t remember where. Was there any information in the case saying the other knee was already treated??

This is the guideline. If it does not apply, I would let practicode know and maybe they can look into it. 😊

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
I think the issue is that the other knee is not being treated at this time, therefore the physician would not code the dx. I suppose one could make the argument that the DJD on right knee impacted the treatment of the left knee, but that is probably not documented on the op note.