Wiki Question Regarding Complication and Status Code

Best answers
Ive recently been coding in Neph and had a patient with history of kidney transplant and the reason for encounter was followup. The provider documents stable transplant. When coding It was suggested that I use Z48.22 Encounter for aftercare following kidney transplant and Z94.0 Kidney transplant status . I am uncertain about this because in my research I have come across information like the following "Z codes indicating status are redundant when the diagnosis code itself indicates that the status exists. For example, in the case of an acute rejection crisis of a transplanted kidney, code T86.11, Kidney transplant rejection, is used. Because the patient's transplant status is implicit in that diagnosis, the additional code Z94.0, indicating kidney transplant status, is not meaningful and should not be assigned. "

I would appreciate any guidance regarding

Hello Kim,

I agree, i would definitely based it off more of the guideline itself. As stated it says "A status code should not be used with a diagnosis code from one of the body system chapter, if the diagnosis code includes the information provided by the status code."

I feel in my personal opinion, that the code Z48.22 describes the whole picture of the case, i dont think adding or not adding the Z94.0 will affect your coding/reimbursement.

hope it helps!