Wiki Registered Dietitian Billable Unit

Akat12

New
Best answers
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience billing for a Registered Dietitian and how many units per day are payable for 97802, 97803 and 97804?

I tried to find medical policies on BCBSM, United Healthcare, Priority Health and Aetna but I'm unable to find anything that speaks to max billable units per day

The RD was under the impression that RDs can bill 4 units or 60 mins for evals but that treatments are a MAX of 30 minutes or 2 units?

Hi,
I have experience billing for registered dietitian. The billable units depends completely on patients eligibility. If a patient has unlimited visit limits or visits based on the medical necessity, then you can bill a max of 4 to 6 units each time for CPT 97803 (regular visit), each unit is 15 min. For 97802(initial visit, each unit is 15 minutes), you can go from 8 to 10 units one time only for that patient benefit period. For 97804(group),each unit is 30 minutes for 2 or more individuals, based on the patient plan you can go up to 4 units.
So the bottom line is the billable units are not per day, its per visit, and apply the guide line I mentioned above for each of the CPT codes.
Hope that helps!