Wiki Remote work

etulp5

New
Best answers
I have been working in a ortho surgeon office for almost a year now. I schedule surgeries, get approvals through insurance companies and was getting ready to be taught billing. I am currently going through the CPC course and hope to be done and test past by October. How hard is it going to be to get a remote job? Everything went remote last year because of covid and my dream would be to work from home. Are my dreams fading?

Not yet, but you'll likely have to start with in-person work before anywhere will let you go remote. I, too, would love to go remote but the place I'm working at now doesn't currently allow that. So, I'm considering this to be my jumping off point. I'll work here for a few years to get my feet on the ground with coding since this is my first actual coding job and then hopefully move on to another company that does allow that.

Most coders prove themselves in the clinic before they are allowed to work from home. Your dream won't happen tomorrow or when you pass your test, but if you keep doing a good job you probably will be allowed to work from home at some point.

A big one for me is no commute. Another is potentially a lot less distractions from random chitchat amongst co-workers and the like, as if working in a call-center (which, in a way, I am). You can find plenty of articles on advantages to remote work (in addition to disadvantages, of course) online.

When we were in the office it was a lot easier to hire students and train. Now that we're remote we are only accepting experienced coders/billers. It's so hard to train and supervise remotely. However if you knew our system and worked in scheduling/authorizations previously my manager would probably consider training you in billing. Claim recovery, posting, collections. Not coding right away though. I learned a lot of coding rules from doing claim recovery. Which made me a more careful coder. I went from being a student, claim recovery, claim recovery lead, coder, and now I'm the coder researcher and quality auditor. Also on our CPC team for compliance. All in less than 5 years with the same company. The only way is up. Keep getting your experience and try not to job hop. My manager also expects coders to understand billing and the life of a claim. So you're already on your way learning authorizations. You'll find something some day stay patient, keep showing the want to learn, absorb everything you can and you'll get there.