Wiki REMOVE IMPLANT AND EXCISE SCAR TISSUE AND CALLUS

RebeccaMoney

Expert
Best answers
I've attached an op report. I know to use 20680 for the hardware removal. Doctor gave me an additional CPT 28122 for the callus/scar tissue removal. I'm not sure that 28122 is the most appropriate code that excision. I don't think 11055 is correct either because the scar tissue and callus were around the screw head. Would anyone look at the attached op report and tell me what you think?
Thank you,

Attachments

• EXCISION SCAR TISSUE & CALLUS.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 5
Forgot to add: 11. Debridement of tissue in the surgical field of another musculoskeletal procedure is not separately reportable. For example, debridement of muscle and/or bone (CPT codes 11043-11044, 11046-11047) associated with excision of a tumor of bone is not separately reportable. Similarly, debridement of tissue (e.g., CPT codes 11042, 11045, 11720-11721, 97597, 97598) superficial to, but in the surgical field, of a musculoskeletal procedure is not separately reportable. However, debridement of tissue at the site of an open fracture or dislocation may be reported separately with CPT codes 11010-11012.

It's possible there is a CPT Assistant about it too, but I don't have access to that right now.

Forgot to add: 11. Debridement of tissue in the surgical field of another musculoskeletal procedure is not separately reportable. For example, debridement of muscle and/or bone (CPT codes 11043-11044, 11046-11047) associated with excision of a tumor of bone is not separately reportable. Similarly, debridement of tissue (e.g., CPT codes 11042, 11045, 11720-11721, 97597, 97598) superficial to, but in the surgical field, of a musculoskeletal procedure is not separately reportable. However, debridement of tissue at the site of an open fracture or dislocation may be reported separately with CPT codes 11010-11012.

It's possible there is a CPT Assistant about it too, but I don't have access to that right now.
Agreed. I didn't mean to imply that the debridement should be billed with 20680. I like to break down the op reports into the appropriate codes, then run them through the NCCI Edits checker. It comes in handy when the Doctors question things :)

Agreed. I didn't mean to imply that the debridement should be billed with 20680. I like to break down the op reports into the appropriate codes, then run them through the NCCI Edits checker. It comes in handy when the Doctors question things :)
Oh yes, totally. I always pull all codes out first too and then run them :) It's also the only way you can tell if what they stated in the header was in the body too.