Wiki Resource Question for Coding Text/Exam

knadams

Best answers

I am currently enrolled in the AAPC Medical Billing and Coding course and was hoping for a little direction from someone who has already taken the certification exam. I am about half way though the course but feel like my head is swimming from all of the infomation to remember and am getting worried that come exam time I won't remember it all. I was directed by the instructors to make notes in my CPT book to reference during the exam. At this point however I am just not even sure where to begin with that task...I fear writing little won't give me enough to reference and writing too much will make it hard to find the valuable information. Bottom line on my forum question is could someone that has already past the exam please share what type of information was helpful for you to write in the CPT/ICD and how you went about tagging the valueable info. (Tools for highlighting, sticky flags, arrows, etc..) I am sure this sounds like an odd request but would value some feedback. Thanks!

Exam

I am currently enrolled in the AAPC Medical Billing and Coding course and was hoping for a little direction from someone who has already taken the certification exam. I am about half way though the course but feel like my head is swimming from all of the infomation to remember and am getting worried that come exam time I won't remember it all. I was directed by the instructors to make notes in my CPT book to reference during the exam. At this point however I am just not even sure where to begin with that task...I fear writing little won't give me enough to reference and writing too much will make it hard to find the valuable information. Bottom line on my forum question is could someone that has already past the exam please share what type of information was helpful for you to write in the CPT/ICD and how you went about tagging the valueable info. (Tools for highlighting, sticky flags, arrows, etc..) I am sure this sounds like an odd request but would value some feedback. Thanks!

Try not to worry about the exam yet. I completed my Final Exam on Sunday in this course. Time ran out on me yet I still made a 76! I am scheduled to take the Biggie Exam on the 19th of Feb. I will try to remember to reply to your post and let you know how it goes. I have written notes in my books but nothing that is really going to help me. I think the main thing is we have to know WHERE to find the answers because there is no way to remember everything. If you need help with the couse, contact me. bippik@lycos.com

Good Luck

Exam questions

I just took the CPC exam this weekend...make sure you understand the instructions at the beginning of each section of the CPT book. I spent more time using the process of elimination than I did researching the actual procedures/diagnoses through the indexes. I didn't have any writing in the columns of my books and really felt I didn't need those extra notes. Practice reading reports and/or charts, as that is how the big test asks the questions. Good luck.

Thanks I appreciate the replies. I guess I am stressing more because I purchased course and exam at the same time and I will have to take the exam sooner then I planned. (Haven't even finished the course due to the holiday rush).
Is the exam a timed test? Around how many questions and is it all report based or is some of it set up like our workbook?
Last question I promise, did those of you that just took the exam purchase the prep workbook and did you find it helpful?
Thanks a bunch!

The exam is 150 questions, and you have five hours and 40 minutes to complete it. You need a 70% to pass.

If you are unsure what notes to make, may I suggest know your guidelines AND KNOW THEM WELL. Also, I have found it helpful to highlight things like "medial OR lateral" versus "medial AND lateral." Things that make a difference in code choice. If two codes are similar, but one if for ALLOgraft and one if for AUTOgraft, I highlighted these things so they would catch my attention. I found this very helpful, especially for my specialty exams.

Good luck to you!